Getting a Job in ConstructionWhen someone talks about construction, what is the first thing that comes to mind? If you are like most people, you’ll imagine buildings, big trucks carrying building materials, cranes, workers, and all sorts of things.
Most people have basic knowledge about a career in the construction industry. For example, the most popular construction jobs are architecture and engineering. But did you know there are other lucrative career options in the same industry? Here is a list of construction jobs that you probably didn’t know existed.
Solar Installation SpecialistGovernments are giving homeowners and businesses incentives to use clean energy. One of the most popular clean energy options is a solar panel. The system is not as simple as you may think. Someone has to install a solar photovoltaic system for the panels to be effective. The specialist is known as a solar photovoltaic installer.
- If you have a high school diploma, an experienced installer can teach you the skills on the job. Alternatively, you can enroll at a technical community college for 2 years and then work under someone as you learn on the job for a year. Both options are equally effective. Your median annual salary will be roughly $35,000.
- After completing your apprenticeship, you can become a consultant or look for construction work.
Wind TechsApart from the sun, the wind is another clean energy alternative. The installation of wind turbines is done by professionals. You cannot read a manual and do the installation yourself. Since the job is quite demanding, wind techs earn an annual salary of $54,000. It’s one of the highest-paying jobs in the industry. Also, the demand for wind techs is increasing as more real estate investors incorporate clean energy into their buildings.
- To become a wind turbine technician, you have to go through two years of training at a technical institution. There are also associate degrees that you can do to learn wind tech skills. After you complete your studies, you have to go through a mandatory year of apprenticeship to familiarize yourself with the different types of wind turbines.
- After you complete your training, you can either become an independent contractor or look for a job with a construction firm.
Elevator TechnicianWho do you think installs the elevators and escalators on buildings? It’s not just any worker. You have to be a licensed elevator technician. Your job also involves elevator maintenance. This job is quite technical because you have to know some electrical and mechanical stuff. The basic annual pay for an elevator technician is $79,500.
- If you have a high school diploma, you can apply for an apprenticeship. The hands-on training is one of the longest. It will take you approximately 4 years. During the training, you will learn how to read blueprints, job safety, physics, math, how different elevator parts work, and some electrical training. You are also paid during the apprenticeship period.
- Since elevator technicians are few, you are likely to get a job as soon as you finish your training and get your license.